English in Year 5 and Year 6: Relish the challenge!
This two-part course aims to support Year 5 and Year 6 teachers by offering practical, creative approaches to maximise pupil engagement and attainment in the English curriculum and end of Key Stage 2 assessments. This course is intended for teachers new to teaching in Year 5 or Year 6, as well as experienced Year 5 and 6 teachers looking to refresh their practice. Year 5 and Year 6 colleagues could attend together so that the approaches to the curriculum and preparation for end of Key Stage 2 assessments are spread across the phase.
Session 1 - Monday 23rd September, 13:15 - 16:30
Session 2 - Monday 7th October, 13:15 - 16:30
The course will:
- address the requirements of the Year 5/6 Programme of Study for English and the associated assessment frameworks, including national tests
- unpick the programmes of study for reading, grammar and writing, offering practical and enjoyable teaching approaches
- explore creative ways to develop and maintain pupils' independence, motivation and enthusiasm in reading and writing
- offer effective strategies to prepare pupils for the end of Key Stage 2 tests
- provide activities and takeaway resources to support best classroom practice